Whether you love the holidays, or whether you work retail (kidding…kind of 😉 ) the season is upon us. And most everyone would agree that between the parties, shopping, events, baking, and general busyness, it is a challenge to make time to write.
But I would argue that this is one of the most important times to write. Magical and emotional moments abound, and many of these make for wonderful stories and memories worth recording and sharing with others.
And for those of us who write fiction, or poetry, or anything else, this time seems to the exact right moment to follow our hearts, our star, and keep true to ourselves in a often hectic and frazzling time. Consider making time to write the gift you’ll give yourself this holiday season.
So how do you make time for writing during this season?
It’s not easy but it can be done. Below are a few time management tips that have worked for me, a few ways you can hang with the AWA and get inspired, and finally a couple of ideas about how to bring your love of writing into the season, ensuring it indeed will be a very happy holiday!
- Set a goal for this week. At the beginning of each week, set a goal, and write down a plan. Have a certain goal of time or pages for your work days and off days. Then write those goals on your calendar, somewhere where you can see them each day.
- Just sit down for 15 minutes. It’s very easy to feel tired and overwhelmed so just agree with yourself to sit down and write something – anything – for even a few minutes. You might find yourself having fun and getting into it.
- Pick an idea you’re excited about. If it’s harder to make time right now, give yourself the gift of working on something you’re crazy about — something a little too wild, cool, fun, or silly. Take the season off from the hard stuff and dig into the awesome stuff… you might never go back.
- Just do it. If you want to hit your writing goals by the end of the year, then… hit your writing goals by the end of the year. Expect it to be hard, real hard, and relish the chance to do yourself proud and achieve what few would even dare to try during the craziest time of the year. You CAN do it. You just have to want it bad enough.
- Get inspired and have fun with the AWA! Join us every Wednesday for our Jittery Joe’s ‘Write-In’, our monthly social ‘Gathering’, our ‘Read-Ins’, and our ‘Open Mic’ on December 8th at ‘Normal Books’. Click on the ‘Upcoming Events’ link at the top of the page for full details.
- Finally, have a little fun and share your passion. You have a gift and a love of words– share it this season. Send out real, paper holiday cards and write beautiful, unusually heartfelt messages this year. In addition to regular gifts, give a favorite book to loved ones — maybe a different one based on each person’s taste and interests. And volunteer your talent and time to help the elderly or children or soldiers by writing cards, reading stories aloud, or just sit down and talk to someone about how writing has changed your life.
Most of all, be kind to yourself, do your best, and then just relax and enjoy the season. Writing and the magic of the holidays — what a great combination!